Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Basic Pizza Dough

4 c. bread flour
1 envelope (2 1/4 tsp.) instant or rapid rise yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 3/4 c. warm water

Combine flour, yeast and salt. (Note: I've heard that if salt touches yeast directly then it will kill the yeast, so be sure to incorporate it into the flour before adding salt.) Add oil and water and knead for 10 min. by hand (adding flour as needed to keep from sticking) or 5 min. by machine. Transfer to lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hrs.
I then stretch my dough out on parchment paper, put the sauce and toppings on and slide onto a cookie sheet already heated in the oven. I sometimes freeze these before I bake them and have found that I like to bake at 450 degrees for 10 min. when fresh and 425 degrees for 10-12 min. when frozen.

No comments: