Sunday, August 14, 2011

Granola

I've been making granola quite a bit lately since Casey and I have started to try and eat better. (Read...not eating cereal EVERY morning!) No, truthfully we've been trying to eat healthier and everyone has discovered the tastiness of yogurt and granola as a snack. It's also good with just milk...like cereal. =) Give it a try!

*The original recipe had some things I left out so check my notes if you want to make some exactly like mine!


Favorite Granola


3 1/4 c. oats (I used 1 cup of quick-oats and 2 1/4 cups old fashioned (rolled) oats)

1 1/4 c. white wheat flour (I've put in the full amount and done 1 c. wheat flour and 1/4 c. ground flaxseed, both were good)

1 1/3 c. shredded coconut (Didn't add this)

1/4 c. flaxseed (Didn't add this)

1 c. or more coarsely chopped pecans and/or almonds (Totally did ALL pecans! YUM!)

1 c. brown sugar

1 stick of butter

1/3 c. water

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. cardamon (Didn't have it, didn't add it.)


Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, flax seed, coconut, and nuts. Set aside. In saucepan, over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, butter and water and heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is bubbly. Stir the mixture together until smooth and then stir in the salt, vanilla and spices. Pour mixture over oats mixture and stir well to coat. Let stand 10 min. Spread on a baking sheet, seperating it into irregular clumps, allowing space between the clumps for hot air to circulate. Bake until top is golden brown, about 15 min. Remove and stir to break up mixture into med-sized clumps. Return to oven and bake for 15 min. Stir again. bake for another 15 min or until uniformly browned and completely dry. Cool completely. (I just did the 15 min exactly three times and it's always been perfect.)



No comments: