Sunday, March 8, 2009

Week of March 2

It's been a crazy week! I wouldn't say that I haven't cooked much because I spent most of the week cooking, just not making dinner! I made 7 lasagnas and 5 french silk pies for a ward dinner this week so I apologize for our dinners being VERY simple!
Monday- Chicken Enchiladas
1 can refried beans
10 flour tortillas
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 c. sour cream
3 chicken breasts (cooked & shredded)
1 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 c. cheddar cheese
15 oz. enchilada sauce
2 c. cooked rice (cook w/ 1 tsp. chicken bouillon & 1/2 tsp. cumin)
Combine soup and sour cream; stir in chicken. Set aside. Spread 2 Tbsp. beans on each tortilla. Sprinkle a good helping of rice followed by 1/3 c. of chicken mixture down each tortilla. Top with 1 Tbsp. of cheeses and roll up. Place seam side down in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Pour enchilada sauce over tops;sprinkle with sliced green onions, sliced olives and remaining cheese. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
Tuesday- Nachos
Wednesday- Chicken Tetrazzini
8 oz. thin spaghetti
1/4 c. butter
1 c. sour cream
2 - 8 oz. cans sliced mushrooms (we did without these)
4 cooked and cubed chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 c. or more Monterey Jack cheese
Parmesan cheese
Break spaghetti into 3" pieces. Cook as directed on package. Combine all ingredients with cheese on top. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake covered in a 9 x 13 pan for 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
Thursday- Chili and Cornbread
Sis. Cundick's Chili
2 cans diced tomatoes (15 oz.)
3 cans chili (she always used Nalley's)
1 can kidney beans (okay, I confess, we did pinto beans instead so the kids would eat it)
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
Mix all ingredients together in large saucepan. Heat. Add grated cheese to serve.
Sweet Cornbread
Yellow cake mix (Duncan Hines)
Cornbread mix (Marie Callendars)
Mix each box as per instructions on each box. Combine and bake with cake instructions. Serve with honey butter.
(I had this when the lady whose recipe this is made it and it was AMAZING...but I used the little pouch ,not a box since I couldn't find one, of cornbread mix and it wasn't enough so I'll get more details and edit this later. If anyone else has luck let me know!)
Friday- WARD DINNER (Lasagna, salad and French silk pie)
You already have the lasagna recipe! Sooo....
French Silk Pie
9 Tbsp. baking cocoa
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
1 - 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla (according to what you prefer)
3 eggs
1 - 9" prebaked pie crust (not deep dish)
Mix cocoa and oil until smooth. Beat in butter, sugar and vanilla, scraping sides well. Add eggs one at a time, beating for 5 minutes after EACH egg. Pour mixture into baked pie shell and chill. Very rich!
(If you can't stomach the idea of raw eggs, I've heard you can use Egg Beaters too, ie. pasturized eggs.)
Saturday- Fried chicken and Potato salad
I totally bought the chicken (it was Sadie's birthday party!) but I made cake so I'll share that recipe!
Homemade Chocolate Cake
3 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. sugar
1/3 c. baking cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 c. water
3/4 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. vinegar
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the water, oil, vanilla and vinegar; mix well. (Batter will be thin.) Pour into a greased 9" x 13" baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely. **Recipe contains no eggs.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
2 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. baking cocoa
dash salt
3 Tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter. Add the powdered sugar, cocoa, salt, milk and vanilla; mix well. Spread over cooled cake.

No comments: