Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Stuffed Pork Loin

I have wanted to make a stuffed loin for about a month now. We had a little demonstration at our cooking group and it just looked so good and easy that I had to try. And pork loin is super cheap!
It comes in a huge amount but that just means I get to cut it up and make it more than once.

Here's the recipe I tried this time. I'll probably try a different recipe for each piece I have. The recipe calls for the whole pork loin (about 4 pounds) but since I cut mine I only had a piece of loin (about 1-2 pounds). I've posted the altered recipe I used below the full recipe in blue.

1 pkg. (6 oz.) Stuffing Mix for Chicken
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
3 Tbsp. dried fruit, such as cranberries, raisins or apricots
1 cup chopped toasted Pecans
1 Tbsp. dried sage leaves
1 center-cut pork loin (4 lb.), butterflied
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper


1/2 pkg of stuffing
1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped - though my little boy ate about a 1/3 of that - so technically is used 2/3 of an apple
1 Tbsp. dried cranberries
1/4 cup pecans
1 Tbsp fresh sage leaves chopped
1 center-cut pork loin - 1 lb
Salt and pepper

I followed the rest of the recipe just as it was written.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare Stuffing as directed on package. Remove from heat; gently stir in apples, dried fruit, pecans and sage.

Unroll meat; place stuffing mixture evenly over meat. Roll up meat, starting at one of the long sides, to enclose filling. Tie pork loin about every 2 inches or so. Place, seam side down, on foil-covered baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Season with salt and pepper.

Bake 45 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 155°F when inserted into the thickest part of the meat. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes before slicing.


It was really yummy. I don't think I've ever had sage before so that took a little getting use to but it was still really good. We had it with cranberry sauce....cause we like that stuff. I can't wait to try another stuffed pork loin.

No comments: