Saturday, December 6, 2008

Hot Chocolate

It's getting pretty chilly over here....the perfect weather for hot chocolate. I decided I'd try making some from scratch. I used this recipe:


2 ounces Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, broken into pieces
1 can (14 ounces) Sweetened Condensed Milk
4 cups Boiling Water
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Dash of Salt

Melt chocolate in large heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir in sweetened condensed milk. Gradually add water, stirring until well blended. Stir in vanilla and salt. Serve immediately.

Makes 8 servings


Notes about when I made it: It turned out really yummy!! Probably not so good for those on a diet.

I didn't use the unsweetened baking chocolate as directed in the recipe. I used semi-sweet chocolate instead. I think the semi-sweet chocolate made it a lot sweeter than it would have been with the unsweetened chocolate. I think it might be better to use the unsweetened chocolate but can't say for sure.

I halved the recipe and it made about 28 oz - plenty for two people but definitely not enough for four people.

We of course topped it off with whipped cream. I really think a candy cane in it would be tasty.

Keep warm and make some smooth and creamy hot chocolate!

No comments: